One of the simplest tips out there for Google Ads would have to be turning off the show function for Google Search Partners.
What is Google Search Partners?
Before deciding whether or not to turn something off, you need to understand what it actually is you’re doing.
Google Search Partners are simply sites within the Search Network that partner with Google to show ads. The Search Partners can extend the reach of ads to other websites, such as YouTube, Google Maps and other Google sites. This means you can gain additional Google Ads traffic and conversions, as your ads will appear in more places than just on Google.
When you create a campaign within the search network, search partners will be included as a default setting. It is up to the individual to decide whether or not to turn off search partners.
Why should You disable Google Search Partners
So why would you want to turn off Google Search Partners?
There are numerous downsides, such as:
- Google does not provide a list of its Search Partners.
- Google does not show you where the clicks are coming from in your accounts historical data.
- You have less control over the look and feel of your ads with Google’s Search Partners.
- You cannot individually adjust the bid on these other Search Partners. This means all keyword and product group bids must be exactly the same as bids within the main campaign.
- You cannot exclude specific search partners.
Check Performance Before disabling Google Search Partners
Want to see some statistics before deciding whether or not to disable Google Search Partners?
You can segment the search partner statistics in Google Ads. Simply view all campaigns, and then select Campaigns > Segment > Network (with search partners). Scrolling to the bottom of the page will allow you to see statistics for your campaigns which use Google Search Partners. You will be able to see figures for clicks, click through rate, the average cost per click, cost, total conversion value and click conversion rate. You can then compare this to your Google search traffic to see whether or not it is worth advertising through Google Search Partners. If your figures are significantly lower, or costs are much higher with little result, it may be best to opt out.
how to opt out
Fortunately, Google has made it extremely simple to opt out of showing Ads to Search Partners.
The steps are as follows:
- Click on the campaigns Tab at the very top of the page
- Click on the campaign that you want to opt-out
- Click Settings
- Where it says Networks, click edit
- Uncheck the box that says include search partners
It is common for people to see positive increases in their campaign metrics once Search Partners is turned off. This is due to your budget purely being spent on a better performing platform that you have more information and control over. While we do recommend experimenting with Search Partners, this should only be undertaken once your campaigns are maxing out their search impression share and your potential keyword options have been exhausted.